
Tracy Jones, a former senior vice-president at the Atlanta Housing Authority, has been sentenced to prison for defrauding government housing and pandemic relief programmes in the United States.
According to U.S. prosecutors, Jones fraudulently collected Section 8 housing assistance payments tied to her own rental property and family members while also obtaining COVID-19 relief funds through false business claims.
Court documents showed that Jones served as senior vice-president overseeing the Housing Choice Voucher Programme at the Atlanta Housing Authority from April 2017 until her guilty plea earlier this year. The programme is one of the largest Section 8 housing schemes in the U.S.
Authorities said housing officials are generally prohibited from receiving Section 8 payments for their own properties or renting subsidised homes to relatives. However, prosecutors alleged that Jones used falsified documents to enroll family members in the programme and receive rental payments for housing them in her own property.
Investigators said she concealed her involvement by using a fake identity and a shell company in official housing authority records. Through the scheme, she improperly obtained more than $36,000 in Section 8 funds.

Prosecutors further accused Jones of obstructing investigations by submitting false affidavits and persuading associates to provide misleading documents on her behalf.
In a separate scheme, Jones reportedly used shell businesses to secure more than $27,000 from U.S. Small Business Administration COVID-19 relief programmes by falsely claiming the businesses were active, employed multiple workers and generated significant revenue in 2019.
She also admitted to mortgage fraud after allegedly providing false information while refinancing her rental property. Prosecutors said she falsely claimed the property was her primary residence and failed to disclose ownership of other properties while applying for a $219,780 loan.
Jones, 61, was sentenced on Wednesday to nine months in prison, followed by nine months of home detention and 15 months of supervised release.
The court also ordered her to pay $65,598.80 in restitution and an additional fine of $63,546.
She pleaded guilty on February 2, 2026, to conspiracy to commit theft of government funds, wire fraud and credit application fraud.
Court dismisses suit against Ireti Kingibe, fines plaintiffs and lawyer N20m